Saturday, October 26, 2002

Renee- since I think you are one of the few who still actually check this... I thought I would put this up for ya. :)

Movie Review
I saw Punch Love Drink tonight at Renee's request. Since most of you will never go see this movie- let me give you a breif synopsis of it. It stars Adam Sandler who is a man that grew up with seven sisters. This has effected him greatly and in a really strange way. Well one day he meets this woman played by Emily Watson (who I love her stuff- Gosford Park and Hillary and Jackie). This woman reaches out to the man with compassion and honesty. Well... along with this story is the story of Adam Sandler's character (before meeting Emily Watson) calls a phone sex company just to have someone to talk to for a night. This company tries to take advantage of him even after that night. Okay... that is the story, yeah it is a weird one... and most of you will not enjoy this flick. Here is what I thought of it:

Punch Love Drunk was ALMOST an excellent movie. What it lacked can be summed up in one word: development. I loved watching the characters and the story (though quirky) was entertaining. What I feel the story lacked was true development of the characters, especially Adam Sandlers! There was sooo much wrong with him! And though he did become "punch love drunk" this was not enough change in the character for me. AND HELLO Emily Watson... you are mad at him for leaving you at the hospital... but hey! he flew ALL THE WAY to Hawaii for you. Can't ask for anything more romantic than that!! :)

I was also amazed how many people walked out of the theater at this movie. I think they were expecting a Big Daddy or a Happy Gilmore... well this was definately not one of those.

The sound was very interesting in this film. During the ending credits it was like they finally turned on the surround sound. Where Gary Rydstrom chose to place things in the speakers was really weird and artsy. But it did help shape the atmosphere of the film. Lots of cool sound effects.... and the music... was not my favorite... but it worked. Enough about this film. Those are my thoughts... and I am sticking to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home