Sunday, May 18, 2003

OK- I know some of you have been waiting for the "official" TiNA review of some resent films.

X2: X-Men United... most of you know I loved this film! Let me tell you why. I have no previous knowledge of X-men other than the first film. Yet- I found myself excited to see new charaters and see the old ones develop. My favorite new comer was Night Crawler (aka Kurt Wagner). There was a great duality in the way this character is protrayed. He loves so evil! Actually he looks like a demon, yet he is extremely devote Catholic. He adds a nice deminsion to the film with his quoting of scripture... even if it is a paraphrasing. Another cool thing is the shading of lines between good and evil. The bad guys from the last film seem to be on the side of good in the second film. It is a nice twist. Ian McKellan is a wonderful actor... and you don't want him to be as bad as he is :)

Down With Love... I have been seeing way too many action films lately. Down with Love was a wonderful escape from these. It took the feel of the old Doris Day and Cary Grant/Rock Hudson comedies and built on it. This film was packed full of gags and induendos... ones that filmmakers could not quite have gotten away with in 1963. Many critics say that Renee Zellwenger and Ewan McGregor had no on screen chemistry... I did not notice this. I was too swept away by Mr. McGregor myself, I guess. :) I found the movie a nice break from everything else out and a great reminder of why I love the old movies in this genre.

Last but in no way least- Matrix 2: Reloaded... It took me a second viewing to truly enjoy this film. The first time I got a headache. Also the first time through there seemed to be way too much dialogue. The reason we all love the Matrix is the action scenes. This film lives up to that... and gives you a bit more. My jaw dropped on a couple of moves. This time the use weapons other than guns... and it is sooo cool! The second time through- the dialog did not seem as long, because I understood it. There is a lot of things hinted at and foreshadowed in the dialog... so it is hard to get it all the first time around. The funniest part about the movie is that is has a preview to the next Matrix after it... that is after the longest credit listing I have ever seen!! So many people leave during the credits. This last time I saw the movie there were a good number of people who tried to stay... but gave up... the funny part is they gave up and left right before they were over. Since this is me.... I will give a warning that there is one scene that has the characters making love. Nothing is shown on them but there faces and zoom out of them... but there is some breif nudity in this part of the movie. Hince... the R rating. Now- you can't say that I didn't warn you :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home