Friday, January 27, 2006

Ok... YES YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT BLOG!!! I wanted to take advantage of some of the features that were not on blogger when I first started this blog. In order to do this I am using one of their templates. Now you guys can leave comments if you want.

Forget all that. How am I doing you ask? Yeah sorry I left last post in a little bit of a bad mood. Things have been alright. Still a roller-coaster of ups and downs, but mostly ups today. Last night Bible study suprised me with a cake and singing. Today the office did the same. It is all extremely sweet. Almost better than a cruise :) Tomorrow more partying and then I should have a restful Sunday (which is actually my birthday).

I made the decision and I am spending the money on the move. I have hired movers and I hope it works out well. I think it will be so nice to just have one day and everything be done. Then we are going to have a huge house warming party!!! Oh yeah. I will try to take tons of pics so you can see everything.

2 Comments:

At 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comments! Comments!

Yeah, I bet Dad is the first to read these...up at 5 or 6 AM EST...yep...I'm the first.

I remember once ... my memory blog...when I brought my family to Spartanburg...in May 1978. We moved our stuff into an apartment. Then we bought a house that summer. I moved the stuff myself into that house. I decided then and there once and for all that I would never ever again move myself. I've hired movers ever since. Of course I have gathered more "stuff" and moving the leftovers in our van to this location was almost as bad as moving umpteen years ago.

I wish...oh how I wish...I could wave my magic wand and cure all your problems. Mom and I love you so much. We have to let you live your life, but we want you to be our little girl.

Hey...let me tell you the story of my only begotten daughter. Well...about 28 years ago...or thereabouts...my wife was pregnant with our second child...or third counting the misscarriage. My wife was sick as could be for the entire time...into the hospital three times...I think three. Well I had left her in the hospital there in Columbia and I was shaving that Sunday morning, when the phone rang. I had shaving cream all over my face. Well I do not remember if it was Jackie or the doctor, but the question was, "Would you like to have a baby this morning?" Of course, my answer was yes.

I did not understand all about babies and where they come from...although this was our second delivery. I was told that the doctor would do a C seciton, whatever in the world that was. All I could think of was this new baby. So I finished shaving and all. I got down there to be with my wife. Down there = the Baptist Hospital in Columbia, SC.

Well I am in the waiting room, because back then daddies had cooties and could not come into the delivery room. And let me tell you this...I am glad because I really do not relish the thought of being in a baby delivery operation much less a C Section ... whatever that is.

So let me digress a bit. You see, we already had a boy and I wanted a girl. Yeah...can you imagine that? I was in the same waiting room where our son was announced by the doctor. None of my family was there with me at the time, although my mother did arrive later...I think.

Well...this time the doctor does not come out and celebrate with me. Instead a very straight laced un-smiling nurse comes out and calls for Mr. Brown. Of course you can imagine how a new father would spring to attention and wait for the good news.

Good news? No. The nurse says something like this, "Your baby is having trouble breathing. Dr. Wyman wants to know which pediatrition you would like to call." Well, my joy turned to anxiety immediately. I thought I knew what a pediatrition was, but told her that I did not know any. She told me the name of one that was on duty and I told her that he would do.

As she turned to walk away back through those double doors of the maternity waiting room, I interupted her with a question, "Mam, do you know if it is a boy or girl?" After all...don't you think that is a proper question? You see, back in the olden days we did not know the answer to that until the doctor delivered. The nurse stopped and looked at me and said she did not know. Gosh...can you imagine that?...how cold and uncaring! My anxiety level rose a bit more. Then she offered to have me follow her back through the doors. Of course I would go with her.

She told me to stop in an area where I could see through the glass. About 30 feet on the other side of the glass, the doctor was working with a baby in his hands. "It" was so tiny. And Jackie was nohwere to be seen.

The nurse walked up to the doctor who was working with the baby and talked to him just a bit. She came back out to tell me it was a girl. Wow...no longer an "it". Now the baby was a "she"...struggling for air.

I was happy that it was a girl, but I saw that tiny little (Tina) girl and did not know how many hours (or minutes)she would be alive, if she could not breath. Would I stand there and see my little girl die? We'd lost one in the misscarriage. Jackie had been so sick. And little did I know how close to death. I stood there hopeless and helpless. The life of my child was in the hands of a stranger...a doctor who was on call...and of course, God Almighty.

Being a Viet Nam veteran I was prepared for the worst...pushing down my feelings, denying any emotions and ignoring the hurt...this was one more rocket attack in my life..taking someone else's life and leaving me forever with the vivid memory of the nightmare. Be tough! Suck it up! Get over it! Move on! Be am man!

The doctor put her down into one of thse little glass baby beds and came out to tell me that she was fine. Oh what a relief! She had inhaled some fluid during the C Section which was quite common. They sucked the throat and lungs (I guess) and she was crying with all the other babies now. Thank you God!

I think that she had been crying ever since. Well...not really crying. You see...crying is the way a baby sings. Well that little singer is out in California today...gone there to sing...I mean to have a Christian influence on Holliwood...and Irvine...and...Africa?

Her mom still has the scar, but not really too visible. Two peas in a pod...her and her mom. While they may not look like twins, their personalities are rather similar....in a good way.

The night of January 29, 1978 I went to church. We Baptists seem to have a tradition of having an alter call each time we meet for a worship service...an opportunity to share a public display of our faith or decisions made for God. I had not been a Baptist long and did not fee very comfortable doing this. But that night I did not hesitate going forward. I dedicated this baby to the Lord the same day she was born...not a day later. And with the Lord she has been ever since!

Well, Happy Birthday one day early sweetheart. Yeah, her mom is my honey and she is my sweetheart.

But most of all, she is my Only Begotten Daughter. I bet no other father calls his special little girl by the same name as God called his one and only!

Love ya ... Daddy

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Sircellan said...

Well, I hadn't been checking your journal knowing you were going on a cruise, only to check it today and find out you didn't get to go! I hope all the moving went well. We will have to get professional movers to move us next time - whenever that will be. I'm glad you finally enabled comments. I have a blogspot here because I wanted to be able to comment on a friend's blogspot, and between it and livejournal, I manage to update somewhat regularly. You are loved lots and thought of lots around this house, and I'm glad to hear you were surprised twice for your birthday. I hope the time at work gets a bit easier, but you are right when you mention that you can be happy even though your day may be pointing you in the opposite direction. Thank you for updating the blog frequently!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home