Thursday, March 09, 2006

Interesting day. Got a call around lunch that my roommate fainted at work and was in the ER. I asked if I needed to come and was told no. I couldn't sit there anymore, so I finally went. Timing was perfect. The girl from work came with her in the ambulance. I got there as they were discharging her and was able to drive everyone around. Cancelled Bible Study and just having a relaxed night. She has had a tough week with two fainting spells (only one time completely fainting) and a sprained back. Please pray for a quick recovery... she is in quite a lot of pain still.

Other interesting news... today one of our employees IMed me that he is looking for another job. This hurt b/c he had asked for a raise already. We asked him what he needed and then we matched it. (Could spend a month talking about that logic.) His girlfriend is pregnant and he feels he needs to make $40-$50k a year. Well... he ain't going to make that at my business. Not when he came in at $9.50 an hour, has been with us less than a year, and we can barely pay our bills. It is sad. He is a great employee. It will be tough to replace him, b/c he fills in for all the departments. It is peak season and we just hired someone for another position. Oh well... that's life/business.

1 Comments:

At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roomie...had best get this problem addressed. What would happen if she fainted while driving? I would insist on having the doctors do thorough tests until we get an answer to this problem.

Sorry about the employee. But old wise one says that the number one thing employees are looking for is NOT salary. Experience has shown that when an employer gives in once, it never pays off in the long term. It will not be easy to see this person go, but that is business. No business should be in a postion that it will suffer because of the loss of any one employee...inlcuding ME.

I am sorry that this is happening during the peak season. And the value of an employee is generally increased by the cost of training another.

Perhaps your interview process needs to include some pyschological testing?

Hang in there. And don't forget to teach cello...and check out your options. Do not let anything or anybody run your business. Don't let debt run your business. Don't let the unknown about the competition run your business. And do not let one employee run your business. Control belongs to the Master.

Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home